Buy me a coffee

https://ko-fi.com/joeshooman

Thursday 2 May 2024

The Shopper (2016)

I am the shopper,

I rise when they open.

I don’t like the new shops

That are open all night.

At least they close

On Saturday at midnight.

And then again

On Sunday at five.

Or four.



I am the shopper,

I have my own bags.

I don’t need to spend 5p

On one at the till.

They’re strong and solid

And have always served me well.

I rearrange

The things inside

Them all.



I am the shopper,

Just ask me the time.

I’ll reply with a grin

An upside down frown.

The colours of the stickers

Of each shop’s own markdown

Are easy to learn.

Oh I can explain

And recall.



I am the shopper

And I watch you each morning.

You walk from the station,

Away from the sunrise.

Sometimes I can even

See your sleepy almond eyes

A blurred mile away

From it all.



I am the shopper

Our routines intersect.

I wait by the bicycles

Until you stroll past.

You don’t see me there.

That’s part of our pact.

The daily game,

Central.



I am the shopper

Today was a good day.

You wore your long coat

And the memory foam trainers.

You’d been to the shop.

You had milk in your bag:

It was Co-op red top.

It’s better to stay

Local.



I am the shopper.

You are a shopper too.

Tomorrow is another good day:

Fresh fruit delivery.

Tonight I wait in the shadows.

Excited, rapt, shivery.

My bag wet with your

Eyeballs.







(Note: In 2016, I collaborated with a photographer to write stories around some of their pics. The collaboration didn't get anywhere, but it was a good exercise. Of three pieces I've just rediscovered, I think this one stands on its own merits without the pic).









No comments:

Post a Comment