Buy me a coffee

https://ko-fi.com/joeshooman

Thursday 11 March 2021

I Am A Man

 I’m

(Hashtag)

NOT

ALL MEN

But I am

one.

 

And I am

sick

and ashamed

and angry.

 

These things don’t happen because

SHE

wore a short skirt or a low cut top or heels or makeup

or because

SHE

was drunk and flirted and even maybe snoggy

or because

SHE

walked home through a park a dark place a pissy alleyway alone

 

They happen because

MEN

and, yes, not me, and not

ALL
MEN

but

a MAN

does something unspeakable

 

And they continue to happen because

most rapes do not lead to prosecution or even reach court

and because

sidebars on newspapers use words like

flaunt, all-grown-up, figure, topless, beach body, shameless

and all that.

 

Sex is good. Most people like it.

But it is not a right.

A negotiation is not a commodity.

A body is beautiful. But it is not yours unless it is yours.

Is that really so difficult?

 

And look.

Fuck off with this horrible shit of

she shouldn’t have walked that way next time take a rape alarm take a knife take a taxi don’t walk at night wear a long coat don’t make eye contact don’t don’t don’t

 

And please can we start saying

to our boys

to each other

to ourselves

to

ALL MEN

 

Do not rape.

do not attack.

do not follow.

do not make uncomfortable.

DO

cross the road.

walk on the other side.

be aware.

change your route.

change our route.

change ourselves.

 

I am sick.

When I get on the bus

Some days

From my seat and

through the window

I see women and

I think

She’s pretty.

 

Now I am trying to also think

she is not for my entertainment

prettiness is not an invitation

to make her uncomfortable.

 

And I try to be better.

I know there’s a long way ahead

but we can try

and you know what

we can

do this:

(hashtag)

ALL MEN

 

A-

men

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment