Buy me a coffee

https://ko-fi.com/joeshooman

Sunday 30 August 2020

Bank Holiday Weekend (Day 30/31)

 It's been... boring actually. But in some ways I've not noticed all that much being sober. I have started to question myself about my first port of call being, well, port and so on, and I've noticed that it makes little difference drinking between 7 and 9pm. In fact, I have read more and that's good.

I've read several books about drinking and sobriety and whatnot. There are many different levels of this kinda stuff. I think in general I'm at the lower end of... risk? I don't quite think that's the correct word maybe. But, compared to the book protagonists I'm just a part-time idiot that fell into a stupid routine of drinking when bored of an evening. I mean, I knew that already I guess. But confirmation was important.

The total is at £515 today. That's £15 over my original target. I upped it to £750 because I raised about £150 within a few hours of posting the first news about this month. But ya know, over 500 quid is not too shabby is it. And a good charity, of course, will benefit.

Last year I did Movember and raised a load too. I probably won't do this sober thing again, but I might well do something different at some stage. It's been difficult at times, mostly before I started to really work out what the hell was going on in a more scientific way.

It's given me something to distract me from the continuing absolute shit going on with viruses, Tories and what have you. That's important. I nearly came off all social media before I started doing this; I'd had a bellyful of politics and idiots. That stuff is still out there. But now I am (mostly) either not getting involved in the way I used to, and/or sending reports to Twitter. It's kinda satisfying to see the pricks getting banned. So, there's that. Not much, really.

And, so, life goes on one way or another. I'm happy enough with what I've achieved here; the cash, of course, and the more nebulous clouds of realisation about... whatever. I've not worked this out 100% or even 10% yet. But I've started. Maybe. Probably.

Here's to tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow. Ya know, I used to recite that as a depressing quote: creeps in this petty pace from day to day/to the last syllable of recorded time, and it meant that someone's ass was mine I was pretending to be Eeyore-ish. But I think I can also take the first bit out of context, because just having tomorrows is a privilege not granted to all.

Iechyd da - mewn pob meddwl o'r eiriau.

No comments:

Post a Comment