Buy me a coffee

https://ko-fi.com/joeshooman

Wednesday 29 March 2023

Harvest

Watch this here



When I go

and it won’t be for a long time yet, I hope, but

when I go

Harvest everything.


I won’t be

in a better place, or anywhere at all. It’s done

I won’t be

Here so harvest it all.


Eyes, lips, thighs, hips

anything that’s useful

Feet, balls, fingertips:

if someone needs it, that’s cool.


I don’t need

a coffin full of decomposing meat. Nor do you.

I don’t need

A burnt skeleton. Who does?


And I know

there’ll be a ceremony to say goodbye. Of course.

Yeah, I know

So fill your boots.


Play some great music

And some of my own, maybe.

Get the tunes on, the ones

that shout about vibrancy.


Cry a bit,

I’m sure some will. And that’s OK.

Don’t make it

sadder than it needs to be on the day.


Mark the passing

but mark the living more. I mean

I don’t like fuss

so chill out for a bit.


Sell what I’ve got

if it makes sense.

Or give it to charity

and recycle the rest.


When (eventually) I go

I don’t want a drawn-out death with pain:

Please don’t keep me going

beyond reasonable return.


I won’t be

mad or angry. Let me go in peace

And let me

have said everything I wanted to say,


some things like:


Just be as happy as you can.

Don’t be scared of yourself.

Money’s alright, but don’t chase it

Cause you’ll never have enough.

It’s a tool not a destination,

And it can’t stand in for love.


Don’t settle for a half-life,

Don’t waste time treading water.

Don’t work a job you hate.

Don’t think tomorrow’s better.

Today’s a rainy day.

Well, yesterday was wetter.


Ignore the loudest shouters.

They’ve got fuck all to say.

Don’t let the feeble doubters

Put shit in your way.

So do the things that matter:

Being happy is OK.


If when I go

I’ve lived my words as best I could,

then that which I have sown

I will have harvested, myself.





No comments:

Post a Comment