Buy me a coffee

https://ko-fi.com/joeshooman

Thursday 7 February 2019

A lady brought some books to the counter. They reminded her of being a teenager, and she told me why:


It was 1973, she said.
In her banged-up VW
Taking turns driving
With her then-boyfriend.

“We started in Belgium
And worked our way
Down through Europe
Oh. It was amazing.”

I stopped fiddling
With the CMS
And leaned in
Avidly listening:

“We didn’t have cash
But didn’t really need it
Only for petrol
And the odd sandwich

Wherever we could
Find somewhere local
And cheap enough.
We were in love,

Or so we thought.”
I believed her instantly.
I could see her eyes
Light up even now, caught

In that moment, not this:
Seventy, seventeen years old -
She was neither, and both;
As memories rushed

Out of her like the air
Of a bazaar rushes
Into you, bringing
Spices, adventures, where

You find yourself inside
The bustle and dust
A call to the senses:
You – you are alive.

“We were in Greece,”
She continued, whilst
A queue started forming
Behind her. “So these

Books reminded me
Of 1973
When we explored
These new countries.

I said to him,
I said: Love. I want
To go to Istanbul.”
I leaned further in

And the queue got longer
Behind this woman
Whose hair started white
But got younger and younger

With each word, each tinkling
Bell of happiness
Of warmth she gave out
Irresistible, and sinking

Into those beautiful eyes
I fell; I wanted
To be there, in Greece
In Nineteen Seventy Three

With her, laughing, driving
A jalopy with
Doors falling off
Through dust roads, gears grinding.

A waking work-dream
To be in the story
To hear the story
Olives, tangerines

Plucked straight from the trees
By the side of the road
Whilst the engine cooled down;
Lovers caressed by steam.

“Oh it was perfect,
I guess it was a week
But we didn’t have watches
We looked at the shadows

And slept when night fell
Or where we fell
Into each other
And the rest of it, well

I’m a lady, you know.”
And her eyes spoke
Of breathtaking love
Swimming in the flow

Of humanity, racing
Hearts, prickly heat
Of each other; eternal,
Magnificent, making

Love to each other
With each other
In the moment.
“When we got there

in Istanbul itself,”
She said, holding up
The books that
She’d plucked from the shelf,

“It was everything –
And more –
I’d hoped for.
The call to prayer ringing

Through sandstone and souks:
Thrilling, dangerous,
No tourists back then.
No English spoken. No tours,

Just us, and Istanbul,
And the heat,
And the wild
And the adventure.”

I said: “It sounds wonderful
I was there in 2007
But it was a lot different.
It was easy to travel

And I loved the Blue Mosque
And Hagia Sofia
And the cats prowling
Inside the Tokapi Palace

And that Grand Bazaar
A labyrinth of madness.”
She nodded.
The line behind her

Lengthened yet more. “One
Thing I recall,
More than anything,”
She continued, “Along

The river, the Bosporous,
Wherever people lived
There they fished
And caught tremendous

Glistening, silver, red,
Beautiful creatures.
And you could smell
The grills as you went

Along your way. Every man,”
Yes, and it was men
She assured me,
Carried on: “Every man

Fished his own little space
Of that river.
And all were happy.”
She paused. And her face

Darkened. Her eye-sockets
Seemed to deepen.
“Ah, but now,”
She said, sadly, softly,

“All these countries. The EU.
Why do they come?
To fish in our waters?
To steal our seafood?”

I snapped back, or forward,
Into my time.
And realised
That all that I’d heard

All that she’d said of her dancing
in freedom,
The lovers and magic
And off-the-cuff travelling

Was of naught. Someone so amazing,
So soulful,
So beautiful,
Can come into your life, giving

Memories so wonderful
But a present
So intense.
To hold those memories, whilst

Demeaning the place that 
Allowed it
To happen.
I wanted to cry, but I smiled

And stamped the Istanbul histories
With the return date.
“In three weeks,” I said,
“You are due to return these.

Now who can I help please?”
She left, holding
Three books
And raw shards of my desolate dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment